Irritable bowel syndrome (simply termed “IBS”) is a common, yet poorly understood problem. Chronic abdominal issues afflict millions of Americans. Yet most conventional physicians often fail to find the specific reason for a patient's symptoms. Without an understanding of the specific cause or causes of the problems, they are unable to provide a specific treatment that will provide the help the patient really needs.
The simplest definition of IBS is this: IBS is any uncomfortable single symptom, or set of symptoms, associated with the gastrointestinal tract. The Wycoff Wellness Center uses the best of conventional medicine concepts to treat the patient - but goes well beyond them by incorporating cutting edge alternative patient proven methods that provide much greater potential for success. The result is a concrete "success plan" to really help the patient.
Symptoms of IBS include:
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Alternating diarrhea and constipation
- Abnormal bowel frequency
- Abnormal bowel urgency
- Incomplete evacuation
- Cramping or pain
- Sense of fullness in the abdomen
- Anal fissures (cracking of the skin around the anus)
- Anal itching (chronic)
- Recurrent mouth sores
- Ulcers in any part of the gastrointestinal tract
- Gastritis (inflammation of the stomach lining)
- Esophagitis (inflammation of the esophageal lining)
- Gallstones or poorly functioning gallbladder
The Wycoff Wellness approach is to look for the underlying cause of your symptoms.
We employ a number of methods to find the cause(s) including:
- A detailed history and physical examination
- Routine blood testing (e.g., CBC, blood chemistries, thyroid testing)
- CT or MRI scans
- Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis (CDSA)
- Organic Acid Testing (OAT)
- Food allergy testing (blood allergy testing)
- Testing for chronic yeast overgrowth
- Indentification of gluten related issues with cutting edge testing (Cyrex Laboratory)
- Endoscopic GI evaluation (EGD and/or colonoscopy)
The Wycoff Wellness Center has a number of unique treatments for irritable bowel syndrome.
Your treatment or treatments will depend upon your specific identified issues but may include:
- An appropriate elimination diet program
- Low Dose Allergen Immunotherapy (LDA)
- IV vitamin/nutrient infusions
- Appropriate supplements
- Treatment of chronic yeast overgrowth
- Treatment of chronic bowel dysbiosis (bacterial overgrowth)
- Colon hydrotherapy
We attempt to find the best treatment or combination of treatments to improve your symptoms and improve your quality of life. The Wycoff Wellness Center has a "bigger tool box" of potential treatments available to be of help to you!
The Wycoff Wellness approach is comprehensive and will explore the specific reasons for your chronic gastrointestinal issues.
Contact our office today to find out if this approach may be helpful to you! IBS is treatable and your symptoms can be improved.