Chronic Yeast Syndrome is due to an overgrowth of yeast primarily in the large intestine or colon. Chronic yeast syndrome is a frequently overlooked diagnosis - yet it remains a common cause of a myriad of health problems and symptoms.
The symptoms of yeast overgrowth in the intestines include:
• Abdominal bloating, cramping, and gas
• Indigestion or heartburn
• Diarrhea or constipation - or the more frequent pattern of alternating loose and hard stools. (These changes are frequently associated with the commonly diagnosed problem known as Irritable Bowel Syndrome – IBS).
Yeast overgrowth can also cause a wide variety of symptoms including:
• Unexplained fatigue or lethargy
• Craving for high sugar foods, breads and other carbohydrates
• Trouble concentrating
• Severe joint or muscle pains
ABOUT CHRONIC YEAST OVERGROWTH:
We all have normal bacteria which live within us in a mutually friendly environment. These normal and healthy bacteria exist within the large intestine and the mouth of both men and women. Additionally, in women, they are found in the vagina. These bacteria provide a barrier on the mucosal lining of these various tissues, preventing abnormal or harmful bacteria and yeast from entering a women's system.
Whenever any individual is under periods of prolonged physical or emotional stress, the balance between beneficial bacteria and harmful bacteria or harmful yeast may occur. Antibiotics (nearly all of them) which kill abnormal bacteria in the case of a bacterial infection (such as
a sinus, throat, bronchial or urinary tract infections) may also kill the beneficial bacteria resulting in an environment of yeast overgrowth. Antibiotics unfortunately kill not only the offending bad bacteria but also many of the good bacteria. Women may develop a vaginal yeast infection when this occurs. Although yeast vaginal infections may be treated, the primary reservoir for the yeast is in the colon.
Yeast is in the same family as mold and fungus. Once yeast overgrows in the colon, it is akin to weeds in a garden. It cannot be eradicated unless it is killed.
Yeast in your system causes two major types of problems:
1. It produces toxins which depress your immune system and make it more reactive to allergy. This leads to more infections and more antibiotic use which will kill more of the good bacteria and allow increased levels of the yeast.
2. An individual with increased levels of yeast in their system often becomes allergic or sensitive to yeast and yeast containing products. They become intolerant of food products which contain yeast such as wine, beer and baked goods (bread and pastas).
TREATING CHRONIC YEAST OVERGROWTH:
In order to restore the normal bacteria of the colon, it is essential to kill the yeast and replace the normal good bacteria. The good bacterium found in the colon is Lactobacillus Acidophillus. Prescription medication may be required to eradicate the yeast. Acidophillus may be obtained without a prescription and may help restore normal bacteria balance. It is also extremely important to follow a yeast free, grain free diet.
Wycoff Wellness, through their unique history and comprehensive physical examination, with the aid of appropriate testing can identify whether chronic yeast is part of your health problems or concerns.
Call today to learn how Wycoff Wellness can help you!