Low Dose Allergen (LDA) immunotherapy, sometimes called ultra low dose activated immunotherapy, is a method of treating allergies and allergic related diseases. It uses a method or low dose allergens enhanced by a minute dose of the enzyme, beta- glucuronidase. The beta glucuronidase stimulates the production of T-suppressor cells. These cells actively “switch off” helper cells that are erroneously causing patients to be ill my misidentifying normal substances in the body to be allergens. T-cells may live for long periods in the bloodstream, so LDA needs to be administered only every 2 months at first and then less often as time passes. The injections are given with very tiny intradermal needles on the inner aspect of the forearm.
LDA is used to treat all types of allergy, sensitivity and intolerance to inhalants (pollens, dust, mites, danders, etc.), foods and chemicals. It is used to treat such conditions as seasonal and perennial hay fever, asthma, all types of food allergy and many other medical conditions including a number of autoimmune diseases (see detailed list below).
LDA immunotherapy is most effective when appropriate patient guidelines are followed before and after the injections. It is important to be aware of the various “rules” of LDA therapy and to follow these completely. Please refer to the booklet -- Low Dose Allergen Therapy – LDA Patient Instruction Booklet.
Below is a list of problems that can be treated with LDA immunotherapy. The list is a fairly complete compilation of conditions that have been shown to respond and improve with LDA therapy.
- Seasonal allergies (hay fever, spring allergies, etc.)
- Perennial allergies (year around runny nose, nasal congestion)
- Nasal polyps
- Allergic conjunctivitis
- Chronic sinusitis
- Chronic otitis media (ear infections or “glue” ear)
- Food allergy or intolerance
- Chemical or fume intolerance
- Migraines/severe headaches
- Eczema, chronic dermatitis
- Chronic idiopathic urticaria
- Chronic fatigue
- Candida infections
- Chronic pelvic or vulva pain
- Anosmia (lack of sense of smell)
- Interstitial cystitis
- Chronic cough
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- Contact dermatitis
- Angioedema (swelling of lips, face or tongue)
- Hyperactivity (ADD & ADHD)
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Crohn’s disease
- Irritable bowel syndrome, spastic colon
- Chronic diarrhea, constipation
- Chronic anal irritation
- Sjorgen’s Syndrome
- Menier’s Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS)
- Raynaud's Disease/phenomena
- Recurrent pharyngitis/laryngitis
Other treatments may be needed in conjunction with LDA to achieve the best results. Please contact a member of the Wycoff Wellness staff with any questions regarding LDA or other treatments available at the Wycoff Wellness Center.
Initial evaluation - $450.00. Includes the initial LDA injection(s).
- $175.00 for first LDA injection each visit.
- $50.00 for each additional LDA injection per visit